- Keys to a successful cleft lip and palate team
- W. Wellens and V. Vander Poorten
- Cleft Lip and Palate Team, University Hospitals Leuven, Leuven
- Cleft lip and palate team; long-term treatment; protocol; high-volume centres; continuity; outcome measures; regional networking; referral; professional aspects; health care authorities; review
- 3 - 10
- Keys to a successful cleft lip and palate team. The severity and complexity of the defects in patients with cleft
lip and/or palate (CLP) require a complex and long-term programme of care, aiming primarily at the best aesthetic and
functional outcome, with a minimum of procedures and optimal cost-effectiveness.
This delivery of comprehensive and coordinated health care to patients with CLP is optimally provided through colla-
boration in a specialised CLP team.
There is international consensus about the fundamental elements of CLP treatment: multidisciplinary teamwork,
centralisation, high-volume care, team continuity, long-term treatment planning from birth to adulthood, standardised
protocols, documentation, evaluation, follow-up studies, research, training and quality assurance.
- Suppl. 4, 2006
Keys to a successful cleft lip and palate team